BIOINFORMATICS SKILLS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
We aim to provide you with the critical and practical skills necessary for further research as well as transferable skills suited to a wide range of professional contexts.
Our aims to give you a thorough grounding in bioinformatics and equip you with the skills and tools necessary to interpret the wealth of biological data available.
Why study Bioinformatics?
A computer-based approach is now central to biological research. Our program provides essential training for working in this cutting-edge discipline.
This interdisciplinary, is Research Training Program - including Drug Discovery and Translational Biology, Biotechnology and Systems & Synthetic Biology - offering you an unparalleled choice of courses and opportunities in these areas.
Training in the latest technology
Bioinformatics is fundamentally about the application of computer-based approaches to the understanding of biological processes.
Our program will introduce you to the current methods used to interpret the vast amounts of data generated by modern high-throughput technologies such as:
• genome sequencing
• next-generation sequencing
• microarray profiling
Data processing for the post-genomicera
Bioinformatics operates at the intersection of biology and informatics and has a strong mathematical component.
Today’s technology has given us high-capacity analysis of genes and proteins which make it necessary to integrate informatics when solving biological problems. It has become an important focus for industry, particularly in the post-genomicera.
This program equip you with essential training in computing and statistics and give you valuable hands-on experience of modern bioinformatics research themes and methods.
Progress onto further research
With a working knowledge of the practical and theoretical concepts of bioinformatics, you will be well qualified to progress onto advanced graduate study.
The portfolio of skills developed on the program is also suited to academic research or work within the bioinformatics industry as well as range of commercial settings.
Our program aims to:
• Develop your research skills in authentic bioinformatics-related problems.
• Raise an awareness of unresolved issues and unanswered questions in the area of bioinformatics.
• Improve your career prospects by developing a range of transferable skills such as numeracy, team work and database-interrogating skills.
As a graduate from our program you will have gained:
• A clear overview of the theoretical and intellectual basis of modern bioinformatics.
• An appreciation of the roles of computational and experimental research in biology.
• Experience of algorithms, programs and approaches to solving bioinformatics problems.
• The ability to appraise information from disparate sources in relation to scientific hypotheses and communicate your knowledge to the wider public.
• Experience of presenting scholarly work that demonstrates an understanding of the aims, methods and considerations required as well as an ability to form your own conclusions.
• Knowledge of the principles of programming and database science, particularly those applied to biological data.
• an understanding of probabilistic approaches to biological systems.